As the Libertarian Party’s Candidate for NYC Public Advocate in 2017, I advanced the idea that government could be made dramatically more transparent and participatory by adopting appropriate technologies. As chair of the Brooklyn Libertarian Party, I will bring that same solutions-oriented thinking and doing to the local party.
Here are some of the practical goals I will pursue:
- Encourage More Collaboration and Productivity:
- I’ll act as a facilitator who makes it as easy as possible for party members to work together to build the party.
- I will encourage people to work with me to develop meeting agendas, organize events, write press releases, and perform other party functions.
- Transparent chapter operations so we all know how many members we have, how much money we have, how it’s being spent, etc.
- While I will be trying to empower people to perform more party functions, if people don’t, I will make SURE everything gets done.
- More Events, Less Meetings
- I will continue to ensure there is at least one event per month.
- Events will alternate between restaurants, bars and other places of interest.
- We will welcome people to participate in meetings virtually so (a) more people can attend and (b) it’s easier for new people to see what’s happening.
- Meetings will be held in accessible, central locations, and be publicized at least one week before they’re held.
- I will reach out to other third-parties and political groups to explore collaborations around events so we can expand our outreach and get new members.
- A Clear, Well Documented Communication Strategy with a:
- Listserv for paid/active members where we can discuss issues, propose agenda items, alert people to pending decisions, etc.
- Email newsletter that anyone interested in our chapter can receive.
- Press contacts list that we maintain.
- More consistent posting to the website, Facebook and Meetup pages.
- Ambitious but reasonable growth goals for the year:
- 25 new dues paying members
- 100 more people on the newsletter list
- 1,000 Facebook fans
If you have other ideas for how we can strengthen the chapter, please let us know.
Image by Pat Loika https://www.flickr.com/photos/patloika/7560520542